Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Research

Firstly, I want to start of by saying that Im still hooked on to the cinematography book that Miss Tina had lent me! Perhaps I could experiment the screenwriter's techniques when I execute my project later on.

I researched on this term called SOCIOMUSICOLOGY. Its actually a broad topic which also includes ethnomusicology. However, sociomusicology focuses more on the musical behaviour and the role of music in the industry. It maintains a relatively less of an emphasis on ethnic and national identity, but a strong interest in observable behaviour and musical interactions within a society.

Ahhh now that is something for a start! Not bad eh. I'm also still reading up on the long history of the instrument Didgeridoo from northen Australia. Interesting to see how it evolves from a Eucalyptus tree into an instrument today.


Different kinds of Didgeridoo

Next, I took a look at Middle Eastern music, from Morocco to Afghanistan. Its influenced by the music from Greece and India. Some of the famous genre of music under Middle Eastern music is the Cypriot music (a type of Turkish Medieval music). the Kurdish music (also from Turkey), Arabesque music, Arabic pop/rap.

Characteristics of Middle Eastern and North African music include very complex rhythmic structures, generally tense vocal tone, and a homophonic texture.

Here are some of the arabic instruments:
http://www.maqamworld.com/instruments.html

There are just soooooooooo many interestingand wonderful things to read up under Middle Eastern music and it leads to all sorts of different styles of other Music. What I had in mind now while typing this is to study all this different kind of Middle Eastern genre, and then perhaps fuse them with a different set of cultural/ethnic music. Might work or not. Well, I still have the edutainment backup, right Miss Tina..?!

1 comment:

  1. firdaus, as spoken, do think about what you told me you wanted to do in 1st year. I do hope you will be able to sustain your interest in the topic and achieve what you have always wanted to do...not just doing for the sake of completing the project.

    ...i like your joke abt 'pixellation' - that's my strength.
    ...again look back at your work since 1st year, the theory holds true!!

    please prove me & mr jovi wrong.

    ReplyDelete