Saturday, May 16, 2009

Updates_part 4 (Insights on Kurdish music)


HISTORY OF KURDISH MUSIC


Kurdish music exist in 4 different types of country: Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Syria. But I will only expand on Turkey, and Iraq, which I find pretty interesting.

KURDS OF TURKEY
For most of the 20th century, songs in Kurdish Language were banned in Turkey. Some singers sang in Turkish, while others violated the ban and were imprisoned or fled to various countries, especially Germany. In the 2000s the ban has been lifted.

Some of the foremost figures in Kurdish classical music of the past century from this part include Mihemed 'Arif Cizrawî (1912 - 1986), who is considered the greatest Kurdish classical composer and vocalist.

Mihemed 'Arif Cizrawî


CONTINUE
Şivan Perwer, the most famous Kurdish musician of all time, came from the Kurds of Turkey. He came to fame in 1972 during a Kurdish revolt in Iraqi Kurdistan, and became a superstar before fleeing to Germany in 1976. Şivan Perwer is a superb composer, vocalist and tembûr player. He concentrates mainly on political and nationalistic music - of which he is considered the founder in Kurdish music - as well as classical and folk music.

ŞIVAN PERWER
For many years, his songs were banned in Iraq, Syria,and Turkey because they are sung in Kurdish and often cite the oppression against the Kurdish people in the Middle East. He has composed music and sung many songs using the poetry of the late Kurdish poet, Cigerxwîn. Cigerxwîn was well-known for his poetry about the Kurdish struggle and also about Kurdish culture and history. At one time, Cigerxwîn referred to Şivan as "the Voice of his poetry". Kurdish songs (or dengbej) are considered by some to be one of the key elements in preserving the Kurdish culture and history.

Şivan Perwer is something that I could mention in my execution.

OK WAIT!!! I SUDDENLY HAVE SOMETHING IN MIND!!!

Pause the research. Ok now after looking at examples of Information design clip, I have a more clearer view on what I want for my final execution. I want to do something like an information design clip like this one below, and at the same time, I can combine it with video footages. I thought that a narrative wouldnt be a good idea. Or at least at this point of time where I will have difficulties getting locations and casting, filming would not be the ultimate choice. Thus, I have no choice but to stick to motion graphics. DAMN! OOOPZZZ...hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment